Friday, April 17, 2015

To Be No Longer Near 'Near Death'

"But we already nearly lost you once".

When Ashoke's parents tell him this it really struck my heart. Why would Ashoke want to leave home if he nearly died? Well I understand Ashoke's reasoning. He does not want to be near his near death bed, especially after being forced to stay there while incapable of movement for a year. I wouldn't want to stay either. Like Ashoke's late friend Ghosh, I love to travel and explore different countries in the world. Ashoke takes Ghosh's advice and decides to just take a pillow and blanket and go... I love that idea. The desire to travel to a new place on impulse. For Ashoke, he hasn't been to very many different places in the world, but decides he wants to leave his home and his family, and everything he knows to go to America. He's going to discover new places, cultures, and people.

Discovering and trying new cultures is brave. Some people indulge in the small fear that comes with trying new things, and others are simply too scared to even try it in the first place. I believe that Ashoke wants to indulge in this fear and that is where I feel as if I can really empathize with him. He just wants to get away, and no one understands why... Well Ashoke, I understand! Trying new things is exhilarating, and if I had to live in Ottawa consistently for 365 days in a year, I would want to leave as soon as I could as well.

My mother, similar to Ashoke's does not understand this. My mother's perspective is more along of the lines of, "why explore other countries when you can explore your own?". While she has a valid point, and I do believe it's important to learn about your own culture, I have been living in my own culture for 18 years... And Ashoke for longer in India. I've learned  as I travel abroad I can connect my experiences elsewhere back to Canada. Just like how Ashoke and Ashima constantly compare their community in the United States to their hometowns in India.

Attached is a picture of all of the countries I've had the opportunity to travel to and explore and compare and connect back to Canada.


It probably doesn't seem like very many countries when you look at the map, but within one country alone there are several cultures to experience. Hopefully Ashoke will be able to experience, enjoy, and indulge in the American culture he sets out to find. 


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I can really relate to the idea of wanting to travel and experience new cultures and take in all the world has to offer. For me it is a personal goal to venture to as many countries as possible before I die, so far I've only been to 3. I have met several people who have discouraged the idea of traveling to exotic countries, facing language barriers and culture shocks. Frankly I find the idea exhilarating. We are born to one country, for many of us it is Canada. I have lived in two provinces and traveled within 5, I love Canada and all that this country offers. But we are on this beautiful earth and if we stay only in one country that is all we will experience. I find it baffling how someone like Ashoke wouldn't want to go explore all the others. There is so much to see! I am definitely more of a 'Ghosh'. Pack a bag and go! (My top travel destinations are: Italy specifically Rome for the Colosseum, Egypt- pyramids, Greece(If you can't tell my desire to travel is fueled by wanting to see historical sites), Thailand, New Zealand, Australia... Just to name a few.) Glad Ashoke took the step to America, good things happen when you take travel... :) I really liked that you put a map in, with all the places that you've traveled as well as your about me section. It gives your blog a personal touch..! Nice work Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of being an 'Ashoke' or being a 'Ghosh'... But there's unfortunate truth that the story brings to the surface about the difference in these two characters. Ghosh who traveled all his life and explored the world dies, whereas Ashoke who doesn't even intend or wish to travel gets to live.

    So, does this mean that Ghosh had fulfilled his life and Ashoke had not...? Was Ashoke maybe given another chance to travel?

    Your reply has made me ask so many more questions!! Thanks Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dani,

    I really enjoyed reading your recent blog post. I love the fact that you put your own positive spin to Ashokes fears. I can completely relate to Ashoke (and probably many many other people out there) when I say that traveling is one of the best wonders that our world can offer us. I agree that being able to travel is so important to get to experience different ways of life and cultures.

    Also, I wouldn't worry if you haven't have travelled many places yet, it just means you have that many more places to visit in the future!

    Happy blogging :)

    Alexia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dani,

    I really enjoyed reading your recent blog post. I love the fact that you put your own positive spin to Ashokes fears. I can completely relate to Ashoke (and probably many many other people out there) when I say that traveling is one of the best wonders that our world can offer us. I agree that being able to travel is so important to get to experience different ways of life and cultures.

    Also, I wouldn't worry if you haven't have travelled many places yet, it just means you have that many more places to visit in the future!

    Happy blogging :)

    Alexia

    ReplyDelete